Wednesday 1 December 2010

Snow Days

HI there all,

Well, it is fffffffffrrrrreeeeeeeeeezzing here. We have such a nasty artic wind and a thick blanket of snow outside. We've opted to be 'snowed in'!! We haven't been out for a day and a half now!  Except Hubby who still went out to work, bless him.
But I took the boys to school yesterday, braving the ice and snow, crawling along in my car, heater full on, wrapped in so many layers I could just about turn the steering wheel! only to be told to take the kids home as the school was closing...didn't tell me that when I phoned an hour earlier to ask if they were still open!
So I crawled along to the shop, bought some essentials and came home again. Took me 20 mins to drive our usual 8 mins drive home!!
Snow is such a novelty here!  my sister lives 'up north' near the peak district, and at its shallowest point up there its knee depth! where as here in the south-east, its ankle deep.
It does amuse me how the schools all shut down, and everything comes to almost a standstill!
I suppose its because we are just unprepared for it. We don't have snow tyres and enough grit and salt for the roads and paths. the local governments won't buy stuff that's only needed for a few days a year! its not like it lasts the whole season! So..we all stop, huddle up and get cosy!!

So, yesterday,when we got home we had a little play in the snow...


My son making the first footprints in the garden!
Look! Snow!
Shortly after this we went in, needing a nice warm drink, so I prepared the supplies I had bought...
And made real Hot chocolate (double cream, a bar & half of chocolate, squirty cream, mini marshmellows (my little one called them 'mashmoes' cute!) and about 10,000 calories, but oh my, it was pure heaven in a mug!

and so after this pix, I sipped and knitted and we watched Disney dvd's!!
Last time I watched so much TV as that, I was newly married and we got the box set of the new series '24'and we sat and watched the whole thing...actually lasted 17-18 hours not 24! but we did it!! 
Not that we watched 17 hours of Disney dvd's but we watched 'Beauty & the Beast', 'race to Witch Mountain'and 'How to train your dragon'!!
I knitted the whole time and I was astounded at how much I did!!
I did hope to do some more crocheting, but my pc is in the draughty area in our house, and i need to rewatch the tutorial again and I just couldn't bare to get cold again and leave the hot, cosiness of the living room, with the fire blazing in the stove. Can you blame me?!!
This morning, I thought there would only be a little scattering of it left, but was surprised to see a blanket of fresh snow over the footprints we made yesterday...

So, we've stayed in again. This time though I got off my butt and did some housework! and started working  those 10,000 delicious calories off!!
So nothing really to show creative wise,although I do think that the Hot Chocolate was a work of Art!! haha! What have you been up to?

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

hi my friend!
Sounds so cold by you! I don't envy you it at all!!
Dying to see your knitting project!

I am so excited as Fringe starts here on the 15th Dec!! yay!! Haven't watched anything on TV in ages..except like Angela said on her blog, when I am sucked into watching loggers or whose wedding is it anyway or peter parker!! ha ha!!
{yes, it happens to me too!!!-shows I NEVER watch!}

The "news" will have to wait some more...sorry for the suspense!{I know, its mean!}

Ruby said...

Yay! We love 24 too! LOVE your hot choc, what a great photo, and great photos of snow too. It's snowing with us here, great excuse to stay in and get organised! x