Thursday 25 November 2010

Crocheting & more Organza flowers

Hi Ya!
Hope you're having a good week. Many thanks to Angela & Bonnie for your comments about my flowers so far.
Go on, Angela, join up!! its fun! you know you want to!! Hee hee!!

So I am droping in quickly today, to show you two organza flowers I made last night.
I went and got some buttons and some more supplies, and I discovered a remnant of this wonderful, irresdesant  lovely, weirdy fabric a type of organza  ...I'll start again! I've grabbed my dictionary and yes the fabric is truely iridescent  "displaying a spectrum of colours that shimmer and change...as the observer's position changes"  Its a gorgeous turquoise, and so I thought I'd see how that heats up! Ewwww! does it smell!!! and it melted so fast!! it was scary!! But eventually I managed to shape it as I desired and it's made a really lovely flower.


                  It's really hard to see how its iridescent here, in fact, its near on impossible to capture at all!

The next one I made with silver & turquoise organza's and teal tulle. I love these new buttons I found!
I have no immediate use for these flowers as yet, although I may turn this one into a brooch to wear on a lovely grey woollen tunic I have.

Then early evening, as I finished these flowers, I saw a new lesson up and I did a little happy dance when I saw the title 'crochet flower'. yay!
But it is tricky! Its not been without its struggles and little sighs and frustrated 'arrggghh's' haha!!
I still haven't finished or made a flower yet, and the trouble I have is when it comes to adding the next colour, one looked like a star!! I haven't kept all my attempts as most were unravelled, but here's the beginnings of the 5th & 6th. the 'middle' bit, which just don't look right to me. Is that because I've yet to complete it?? I've tried adding the second colour to do the next stage, but I have unravelled it 3 times now, as looks too loopy & holey.

The one on the right is the latest. It's smaller because I realised I was adding too many chain stitches, I looked on another site that Bonnie suggested Attic24, and I followed along her instructions, and the one on the right is meant to look like this Img_0388_sm (photo by Lucy Attic 24)
and it doesn't look as tight and neat like this. Why?? Any ideas??
Anyway....
I'm going to work on it some more. I'm going to change my wool that I'm using to a finer 'yarn' and see if that has any effect.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me! I do love hearing from you.
Until next Time
Em Xx

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hello my dear friend!
sorry I am only getting back to you now about the crochet questions you asked on the blog!

As far as I know yarn is the same term for wool. Here we call it wool in any case.I was just using term "yarn" because it seems like a lot of people use that term. But here wool is basically what you use for any knitting or crocheting, and is not necessarily 100% wool as such, could be some synthetic too.

I use some gorgeous stuff called "nikkim" it is 100% cotton yarn as it says on the paper surrounding it. I also use a bamboo yarn. Both are made here in South Africa and are gorgeous! {I am sending you some in your friendship gift!}

I think that the "cleaner" your yarn is, in other words, more a cotton than a wool is better for crocheting. As the hook tends to catch on the tufts that stick up from more of a "wool" type yarn. If that makes sense.

Oh and the one I use says it is a double knit.

I can do another video if you like that maybe will make it clearer. Let me see what I can come up with!

I wish I was there to show you in person! So much easier when you have someone showing you how to do it. Doesn't your mom crochet? Or maybe you know someone who crochets that can show you? It really makes it easier.

Try looking on you tube for "basic crochet flower" there are some good ones.

xxx

Bonnie said...

oh ps...your organza flowers are gorgeous!!! I love them! well done!

Angela said...

Hi Em! Your tulle flowers are gorgeous! You've done a fantastic job! I've taken the plunge and signed up, too. I haven't gotten to the organza lesson..I've started with the crochet, but I'm afraid mine first flower isn't that pretty! I've posted a photo of it!
Keep up the good work and I'm going to keep practicing!
Angela