Tuesday 25 January 2011

Granny Blanket - The Beginning!

 Hi Ya!
How are you doing?
I'm OK. January is never a good month, for anyone I think! I am so glad its almost over and that we are soon going to be seeing little signs of Spring! Ooohhh I can't wait!
I have been happily absorbed in some lovely bright colours of late. I find it really helps with those winter blues. I was so glad to receive my 'Lucy' wool bundle. It called the Lucy bundle as the little website I bought it from had been inundated with requests for the wool that Lucy from Attic 24 used in her gorgeous granny stripe blanket, so they made up a bundle with the exact wool and colours she used and it was an absolute bargain ( I got it at a sale price, it has since gone up, thanks to Mr.Taxman)
I have been so inspired by Lucy's blog. It is just so colourful and cheerful, and I just love her crochet projects.
I have mentioned her before when I checked her blog out on how to do the little crochet flowers and I whilst browsing through her blog I saw this lovely granny stripe blanket.
She was making hers for her caravan, and I thought what a fabulous idea!!
So I ordered the wool, and although at first I followed along with Lucy's tutorial and copied the colour sequence, soon I was off on my own random colour picking!
I have so enjoyed this project. More than any knitting project or sewing project I have ever done.
I've found my self, whizzing along the row, actually excited about the next row of colour! haha! how sad am I?!
I have just loved the process, and my whole family have all taken an interest, and enjoy seeing how far I've got along and what colours I've used.
My 'mittle' son (he cutely says 'Mittle' instead of 'Little') thinks its his blanket!!
So I thought I'd share some pics of it with you. since its all I've been doing craft wise of late!

Here's the wool. Aren't those colours just great??
and on top is the first two rows, which took a whole evening, as you have to start with a chain of 240!
 and then Double Crochet on every stitch. If you haven't counted right then you have to start over again! Fortunately I got it right the first time, since I added little yarn 'markers' to mark every 50 stitches.



Here's the first lovely row of granny stitches, three trebles, every second stitch.
Not as painstaking but, still took a long while.
This is how I am every evening, I have all my new wool in an old hamper,
so I put a cushion on it and use it as a footstool!!



I spent almost a whole two days crocheting as much as I could and here's the result.
This was taken Sunday before last.



Would you like to see how much I've done in 12 days since I started it???
.
.
.
.
you sure??!!
+
+
+

OK then...
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
Here are the first 27 stripes (50+ rows)




Here it is laid on my kitchen floor!



a close up ( I love this shot!)
I could bore you with many more photo's from different angles and of different rows, I took far too many! haha! but I do just love it, I love the happy, cheerful colours and I can't wait to carry on with it most evenings.

Anyway, changing the subject, I wanted to share with you something my youngest made at playgroup. I found it so funny.


Here is his gingerbread man he made!!

It looks so evil!!! haha!
and it even appears to have a menacing little smirk too, if you look closely!

I really do need to get on with some card making, but crochet seems to have taken over my life!
Besides Hubby has got quite a bit of a crafting streak at the moment. For the past two days we've had cardboard and paper strewn across the dining room table. He has recently acquired a scaletric and is making a pit stop and garages for his cars. It is actually rather impressive, so I'll show some photos of it when he has finished.
I hope you are all well and happy
Take care
Em Xx

p.s I still haven't got any photos of my jazz evening!! I haven't forgotten!

7 comments:

Denise said...

Hello- I found you via Lucy's blog. I made a granny stripe too- and am just starting a second one !

Sal-Gal said...

Ooh - Em - see what you mean about little 'un's gingerbread man... hee hee its a 'monsterbread man'!

Your crochet blanket is coming along really well - love the colours!

Mum xx

Ruby said...

I follow Lucy's blog, it's always SO colourful, I love it! I just can't crochet yet...one day! Beautiful photos, I love the last one too, gorgeous!

Bonnie said...

wow Em!!! I am so impressed!!!! ?You've been keeping out on me!! Naughty girl!!! I love the blanket! It is beautiful, I feel like tossing my boring square one now and starting a stripe one! ha ha!! Well done!!

Angela said...

Wow, Em, look at you go with the crochet! Your blanket looks awesome...and warm! I'm looking so forward to spring (and summer) as well!
As for the gingerbread man, you are right...he does look like he may be Gingie's evil twin on Shrek or something!
Take care,
Angela

Veronica said...

Your blanket is going to be gorgeous Em, those rainbow colours will cheer up any cold day! You're far braver than me tackling such a big task!

Sal-Gal said...

Hi Em, the other day when I tried clicking on my website from your link it didn't work and thats because you have the old blog address not my new one!! so Sal's Ramblings should be at:-
http://wwwsalgal53.blogspot.com/

don't know if you can alter it at all.
love
Mum xx